Our tools include:
- Sewer Tapes which are long rolls of carbon steel that are used to laterally dislodge debris. They are used when the sewer clog is caused by something that was put into the sewer which should not have been.
- A “sewer machine” is used to ream out a sewer line. It is a machine that resembles a snake with a spinning saw-like head. This machine is fed through the lateral from your clean-out (which is located close to or at the edge of your home) until the head cuts through and breaks up whatever is blocking your sewer line. Many times, reaming is simply a preliminary step to a permanent solution. The sewer machine simply clears the way for a cured in place pipe to be installed via our no dig pipe repair solutions. Different-size sewer machines are used for different applications. A small machine may be used for residential laterals whereas a much larger machine may be used for a large commercial connection.
- A “jetter” is another professional-grade machine used by a sewer cleaning service. This has a head with water jets which propel it forward in the pipe, the head acting much like a battering ram. A jetter and sewer machine may be used in conjunction with each other to create the desired result, a sewer line clear of intrusion or blockage.
A clogged sewer line or drain is often the sign of a larger problem. Here are a few of the most common causes:
- A collapsed or separated sewer line – this may go unnoticed for longer than you’d think – but the results can be a sewer backup into your home. See our trenchless pipe repair/replacement to find out how this type of repair can be done.
- A septic tank may not be operating as it is designed. See our Septic Services page to find out how septic systems work.
- A belly in the pipe, where the lack of a good slope of the pipe means that gravity can no longer carry debris away.
- An intrusion, such as a pipe fragment or root, in the pipe which could catch debris.
If you have a clogged sewer line and think it’s time to put down the plunger and hire a drain cleaning company, call us at 804.232.6774 or contact us via email. We are available during our normal business hours – Monday-Friday, 8am to 4:30pm – or through our after-hours helpline at 804.641.5942.